Tuesday, September 22, 2009

What Not To Wear...When You Travel

As a meeting planning professional, I travel in clothes that are work appropriate because I have to represent my organization. In March 2006, I planned a meeting in Tucson, Arizona. My flight was delayed, and my luggage was lost. I arrived around noon, but my luggage didn't arrive until 3:00 am the next morning. What was I wearing? A thermal long sleeve shirt, jeans and Uggs (what can I say? It was still cold in DC). Thankfully, I received my luggage in time. Based on that experience, I learned early on that, a) don't get on a plane without a change of clothes if I'm checking luggage, and b) get on a plane wearing something I feel comfortable attending a pre-conference meeting.

My family and friends understand that I travel a fair amout. They also know, at least once every month or so, I will be off to some city like Rochester, Minnesota or Scottsdale, Arizona. Accordingly, I have developed an insane obsession with getting to the airport at least two hours early. What do I do to pass the time? People watch of course, and review the odd outfits people choose to travel in. Most are decent, some, not so much.

So, let's start with what NOT to wear when you travel:

1) I can appreciate a good hoodie as much as the next girl. However, knowing there is a time and place for this kind of attire, is half the battle. Take said hoodie below:

Do you really want to run into a business colleague in this?



 And not to mention....

Don't. Wear. Words. On. Your. Rear. End. Ever.

2.  Denim, has to be one of the most debated topics. Jeans are fabulous. Jeans work with everything. I fly in denim, so I can't very well tell you that jeans are innapropriate for travel. On the contrary, jeans can be flattering, contemporary, youthful and professional. To venture into this territory, you have to know the dfference between a pair of  clean and classics trousers, to the crap you wore on Saturday morning walking your dog while you were home on spring break. Know the difference. Embrace the difference. Would you rather be seen in this:



Now, on to what TO wear when you travel. There is a huge difference. Take note below:
(all pictures courtesy of sheknows.com)

You decide.

No comments:

Post a Comment